Why we need to Support our animals immune systems before and after Vaccination, or if we choose not to vaccinate and how to do this
Vaccination is a topic that is guaranteed to split opinions, normally very vocally. Whether you are a vet, parent (to human or fury babies) or are considering vaccinations for yourself this is a can of worms! However, like all we do I encourage you to engage in some common sense and not to overcomplicate things. Easier said than done but with the right support it's possible.
This blog will focus on vaccinations for our animals. I am not going to (at this stage) go into the debate of whether to vaccinate or not apart from to point out:
- The number of vaccines our animals (and babies) are given now is quite simply ridiculous;
- Most research (that is not funded by the pharmaceutical companies) shows that annual (or in horses 6-monthly) vaccinations are completely uncalled for and in fact may cause significant harm;
- Vaccinations are only meant to be given to healthy animals, so if your animal is currently suffering from any health complaint your vet should NOT be advising vaccinations!
- Animal vaccinations, including the equine flu vaccinations, still contain many harmful ingredients including mercury, aluminium, and formaldehyde to name but a few! Have you asked why and have you checked the vaccine ingredients BEFORE you allow your animal to receive a vaccination?
One other point to consider, if you ask any ‘pro-vaccination’ person how many active ingredients of vaccines they can list they normally can’t list any, but ask an ‘anti-vaccination’ person then they will list them all and all their research as to why this could cause harm to your animal or child! Interesting?
Oh, and I can’t resist one more point, why are pharmaceutical companies EXEMPT from being sued for any adverse vaccine reactions YET medical codes exist for known vaccine reactions (including death)?
At the end of the day, it is your choice whether you vaccinate your animal or child (in this country the UK not alas in other countries), so all I encourage you to do is to take that responsibility seriously and DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH so that you are actually making an informed decision.
So below we can give some advice on how to support your horse / dog or any other animal if you decide NOT to vaccinate, or how to support them if you DO vaccinate, to minimize the chances of adverse reactions.
So, you have made your choice as to whether to vaccinate or not. A very typical example is Equine Flu. Please see some proven products that can support your animal to maintaining optimal health. All of the herbs / products listed below can be used preventative or if an animal is ill. When you delve into the ingredients you see just how amazing they all are!
On their own, all these natural substances are great, but as a team they are simply amazing at supporting the body through challenges and maintaining health. We are experts at combining herbs together, so you can be sure that our kits will give the best support possible.
Hypericum: Strong antiviral herb. St John’s Wort (Hypericum perforatum) is also useful for: Anti-depressant, increases endorphin & serotonin levels (low levels of which can cause mood swings). Useful in mild and moderate depression, postnatal depression, irritability, anxiety, nervous exhaustion, neuroses and aggressive, introvert or timid behaviour.
Barberry: Berberis vulgaris Antimicrobial, also used to support the action of other herbs in a mixture. Stimulates the liver and helps restore appetite. Historically barberry has been used to prevent plagues and treat fevers. One of the most powerful plant alkaloids in Barberry bark is “berberine” (also found in Goldenseal), and it is this phytonutrient that is responsible for many of its benefits. Berberine has been shown to stimulate the immune system by activating the macrophages that devour harmful microorganisms. It is naturally antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal – in particular berberine has been shown to inhibit the ability of bacteria to attach itself to human cells. A healthy digestive system is the cornerstone of vibrant health, allowing the body to absorb nutrients fully and to expel waste efficiently. Classed as a “bitter herb”, Barberry Root has long been used to support this delicate system. The bitter alkaloids found in this herb stimulate and regulate the digestive system and aid in the secretion of bile, which is good for liver health. Studies show that Barberry outperforms antibiotics cases of gastrointestinal problems, possibly due to its astringent effects. It has also been shown to clear up bacterial diarrhoea without any negative side effects.
Licorice: Glycyrrhiza glabra Soothes irritated mucous membranes. Supports the adrenal glands which can become overstimulated due to stressful situations such as training and competition. Overstimulated adrenal glands send out too much adrenaline, which will lead to a stressed, compromised body ,not being able to function at its full capacity or defend against pathogens. An adaptogen herb (i.e. it brings the body back into balance) , liquorice root has been used for thousands of years and dozens of purposes, including as a leaky gut remedy. In Chinese medicine, anti-inflammatory liquorice root has been used for centuries for many of the same uses that science has confirmed now — coughs and colds, gastrointestinal issues, and female reproductive issues. Liquorice root is known to enhance the effects of other herbs when combined with them!
Thuja: Thuja occidentalis : Anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-protozoal, protects the liver, increases the excretion of waste products through the urine, tightens the mucous membranes. Very useful in immunocompromised states, both internally and topically, for viral infections such as warts and herpes, in the treatment of ringworm and thrush and in general debility.
Elderberry:Sambucus nigra Elderberries are an excellent general immune system booster. The berries contain chemical compounds called anthocyanidins, which are known to have immunostimulant effects. Most historians typically trace its healing abilities back to Hippocrates, the ancient Greek known as the “father of medicine,” who described the plant as his “medicine chest” because of the wide array of health concerns it seemed to cure. It’s no wonder it’s known as one of the top antiviral herbs on the planet. Health benefits of the elder plant include naturally improving colds, the flu, sinus issues, nerve pain, inflammation, chronic fatigue, allergies, constipation and even cancer. When used within the first 48 hours of onset of symptoms, the extract has actually been found to reduce the duration of the flu with symptoms being relieved on an average of four days earlier. During the 1995 Panama flu epidemic, the government actually employed the use of the elderberry to fight the flu.
Echinacea Root: Echinacea purpurea Improves immune function. Helps protect against potential infections and also in acute and in particular chronic unresolved infection of all types. Especially useful in all respiratory conditions as a prophylactic (preventative) and in the treatment of colds and respiratory infections. It is used as a blood tonic, confirmed by recent work with horses which has shown that Echinacea not only improves white blood cell count, but also increases red blood cell count. This allows for the blood to have improved oxygen carrying capacity. A fantastic all around immune support / regulator.
Cat’s Claw Uncaia tomentosa Improves immune function. The oxindole alkaloids found in its roots and bark are responsible for much of its healing properties, y stimulating and regulating the immune system. It supports the part of the immune system that combats viral infections, and it also assists in the control of inflammation, which can become problematic where infections are present
Plusbac Probiotic :
As we all know, gut health is crucial to overall health. In today’s environment most of our digestive systems, and those of our animals, are heavily compromised, often due to chemicals in our environment and food chain / water. The largest part of the Immune System (about 75%) is in the gut. The complex interaction of healthy gut bacteria is what defends best against diseases. Unfortunately most horses and dogs are lacking a healthy amount of the right bacteria in the gut, which will lead to an imbalance in the gut and therefore a weak immune system.
Why are most horses and dogs suffering from imbalances in the gut?
A) Poor diet: A horse is called a herbivore for a reason, it is supposed to eat herbs. Not just grass, not grains and definitely not soya or molasses. Similarly most dogs foods are not nutritionally balanced and often contain poor quality and inflammatory ingredients. The same applies to cat foods.
B) Chemical/heavy metal poisoning: Herbicides and pesticides used in their pastures, in fields near them, and on their food. Chemical wormers, vaccines, drug treatments. Chemicals do not disappear after they have been sprayed onto a pasture / walking land / food. They stay in the ground, depleting the ground of all sorts of nutrients which then leads to nutrient deficient plants and poor gut health. The same goes for chemical wormers, after killing beneficial gut bacteria, they poison the ground and water.
Spirulina really is an amazing superfood. Here are some of its amazing nutritional benefits:
- 60 percent protein and an excellent source of vitamins A, K1, K2, B12 and iron, manganese and chromium
- A rich source of health-giving phytonutrients such as carotenoids, GLA, SOD and phycocyanin
- Great source of iron, magnesium and trace minerals, in a form that is easy for the body to absorb
- 2800 percent more beta-carotene than carrots
- 3900 percent more iron than spinach
- 280 percent more antioxidants than blueberries
Other great benefits of spirulina include:
- Suppresses bad bacteria such as E.coli and stimulates beneficial flora
- Can counter allergic reactions, such as hay fever and hives,
- Supports detoxing from and any allergic reactions from vaccines
- May help protect the liver from toxic chemicals, reduce blood pressure , and control symptoms of ulcerative colitis.
- Detoxes heavy metals from the body (some vaccines still contain heavy metals) – including mercury, aluminium, lead, cadmium, copper.
- According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, “A number of animal and test tube studies suggest that spirulina increases production of antibodies, infection-fighting proteins, and other cells that improve immunity and help ward off infection and chronic illnesses such as cancer.” This doesn’t come as a surprise as more than 70 peer-reviewed articles have been published in the scientific literature evaluating spirulina’s ability to affect cancer cells. (
- Czech Republic scientists pointed out that, in addition to its ability to control blood cholesterol levels, “Spirulina is also rich in tetrapyrrolic compounds closely related to bilirubin molecule, a potent antioxidant and anti-proliferative agent.” (14)
- When tested on human pancreatic cells, these researchers discovered that, “Compared to untreated cells, experimental therapeutics significantly decreased proliferation of human pancreatic cancer cell lines in vitro in a dose-dependent manner.” Essentially, this proves that consuming spirulina appears to be a potential natural cancer treatment.
This blue-green algae is a freshwater plant that is now one of the most researched, and alongside its cousin chlorella, most talked about superfoods today. Spirulina benefits are so profound that taken on a daily basis they could help restore and revitalize your animals health. To date, there are nearly 1,700 peer-reviewed scientific articles evaluating its health benefits, including.
It is essential that you only use an organic spirulina from a trusted source, as some spirulina can be contaminated.
Again, organic wheatgrass has so many benefits, and is really popular with horses and dogs. Some of its benefits include:
- Detoxifies the liver and blood and chemically neutralizes environmental pollutants;
- Increases red blood-cell count; cleanses the blood, organs and gastrointestinal tract;
- Supports the thyroid gland
- Reduces over-acidity and can help with ulcers, ulcerative colitis, constipation, diarrhoea, and other gastrointestinal complaints
- Its high chlorophyll content may help oxygenate the blood.
- May help reduce damaging effects of radiation, courtesy of the enzyme SOD—an anti-inflammatory compound
When taken with spirulina, the nutritional benefits of wheatgrass are amplified.
Brewer’s yeast is a tiny, single-celled fungus that is a staple ingredient in the brewing of beer. It comes with a host of health benefits. Recent studies have shown many potential benefits of brewer’s yeast, showing that it may prevent diarrhea, aid in digestion and even enhance the health of the immune system.
Not only that, but each tablespoon crams in tons of vitamins, minerals, protein and fiber, making it a simple way to supplement the diet with key nutrients.
Brewer’s yeast is very nutrient-dense and packs plenty of fiber, selenium and B vitamins into each serving.
Two tablespoons (30 grams) of brewer’s yeast contains approximately (1):
- 116 calories
- 16 grams protein
- 0 grams fat
- 6 grams fiber
- 13 grams carbohydrate
- 63 micrograms selenium
- 1.5 milligrams riboflavin
- 1.2 milligrams thiamine
- 10 milligrams niacin
- 1 milligram copper
- 0.8 milligrams vitamin B6
- 633 milligrams potassium
- 60 micrograms folate
Brewer’s yeast is also high in selenium, a mineral with potent antioxidant powers that could help enhance immune health. It will also help to regulate blood sugar levels, due mainly to its chromium content. Chromium is a trace mineral that has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity and boost blood sugar control in those with diabetes. Brewer’s yeast also contains fiber, which can help slow the absorption of sugar in the blood and keep blood sugar levels steady.
Humic & Fulvic Acid
Humic&Fulvic Acid detoxifies the body from heavy metals, chemicals and other toxins that otherwise weaken the immune system. It also helps the cells to absorb important nutrients from food & supplements, making the cells healthier and supplements more effective. Humic&Fulvic acid is so effective & fascinating, we have a whole blog post about it here.